Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning!

 Original image located here. Accessed 30th June 2023

Back in 2020, i saw the first Live action Rurouni Kenshin movie and liked it enough to have a look at the rest. But, as is often the case with me, I never got around to it. However, as of now, I was able to find the final two - Final and Beginning - on Netflix. Of course, I will be missing out on the middle two but having seen that portion of the Kenshin story in animated form, I can feel confident that I can skip that part.

As for this? Well it's the LA adaptation of Kenshin's background as an assassin - which was done previously with the Trust/Betrayal OVAs. And much like said OVAs, much of the mood is carried over: This movie is grim, lacking in colour, bloody and the tragedy still hits like a truck. And in a way it does improve over the OVAs as it dispenses with some of the arty diversions for a more tighter narrative. Much of the strengths of the first movie, the cast and the visuals are carried over but they still work even when placed under such a grim light.

I have to say: Of all the Live action adaptations of well known manga/anime, this is hands down the best. But then again, when the source material is so strong you can't really do a bad job of it, right? 

Comments