Friday, June 2, 2023

Puss in Boots

And this week's Friday Night movie has been... Puss in Boots!


Original image located here. Accessed 2nd June 2023

I've been hearing good things about the latest Puss in Boots movie (Last Wish) so I may as well take a look at it's predecessor as a primer.
So what do I think of Shrek? I enjoyed the first two movies but I avoided what came after once it became clear this was a franchise that was going to be run into the ground. Furthermore, it seemed to me that the first one introduced a formula for success that many other movies in it's wake have sought to replicate. Also the jabs at Disney in the first movie are looking quite antiqued now.
So you can imagine my scepticism when returning to this particular franchise.

But I think the distance did me some good: I had a great time with this. It was a good move to make Puss the star of his own movie as there was a lot to the character and plenty to be added to him. It also helps that Antonio Banderas seems to having the time of his life in this role (and that is saying something given it's a voice role).
The humour certainly does seem to differ from the Shrek formula and is all the better for it. I don't know if that was the intention but this movie does suit the action/adventure format anyway.
So yeah great fun. Puss is as dynamic as ever and Kitty makes for a fun addition.
Now about the sequel....

No comments:

Post a Comment