Friday, June 9, 2023

Leaving Neverland

And this week's Friday Night movie has been... Leaving Neverland!


Original image located here. Accessed 9th June 2023

I was originally going to watch Puss in Boots: Last Wish but I had a last minute change of plan and opted for this.
I think a lot of my audience would have heard of this: It's a documentary where two guys, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, talk about how they were befriended by Michael Jackson at a young age and what followed afterwards. Needless to say, this documentary has gone a long way in challenging Michael's reputation.

Personally I always had an indifferent stance with Michael Jackson. So upon watching this documentary, two things stand out. Firstly it is long at four hours (Heaven help me if I ever decide to watch Shoah). And secondly, this is really Wade and James being very open about their experiences. I've heard people complain that this documentary is one-sided but really, it is both Wade and James' story.
And what a story it is. A lot of detail is given about what happened to these two and how they processed it: Stories of abuse, separation, secrecy, silence, cover-ups, and the long road in processing the trauma endured. This documentary certainly isn't easy to sit through but it certainly has power as a description of child abuse.
Powerful and without a doubt nothing quite like it....

So what did prompt that last minute change? Buggered if I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment