Friday, October 22, 2021

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

And this week's Friday night movie has been... A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night!


Original image located here. Accessed 22nd October 2021

Anyone heard of this? This has been sitting on my watch list for some time, waiting for a moment like this. I was initially sold on the promise it is atmospheric horror (ie the best kind of horror) so now's a good time as any.

Talk about a slow burner: It took a while before the movie showed it's hand. Before then I was worried that it wasn't a horror movie and i had picked up an arthouse flick by mistake. Well, that wasn't the case: The slow burn does indeed help the movie that when the horror comes in, it makes you sit up and take notice.
From a horror movie standpoint, this movie does indeed play the atmosphere card. Which works for me. But what is notable is that it;s horror is derived from the scenario of walking down the street at night and then suddenly seeing an ominous figure. It's indeed a potent scenario and I haven;t seen it utilized enough in cinema -= but again, horror movies aren't my forte so what do i know?
But getting past the horror angle, I realise that this movie is indeed coming from another angle: one of a drama movie, about lost souls and the need to find connection. In fact such moments seem to outweigh the horror moments. So does that make this movie a true horror movie?
Maybe but I reiterate: horror movies aren't my forte so what do i know?

No comments:

Post a Comment