Friday, February 7, 2020

Jojo Rabbit

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Jojo Rabbit!


Original image located here. Accessed 7th February 2020

Okay seriously I want to know what pitch was used to green-light this movie. I guess Taika Waititi had built enough credit through the success of Thor Ragnarok that he is allowed to do whatever he wants - truly the ultimate goal of any filmmaker.

I should point out that my preferred brand of comedy is 'pitch black' and there is certainly a lot of it on display here. But scratch that surface and the true intent of the movie is revealed: It has a lot to say about hate and being brainwashed into it.
But at the end of the day, this movie is funny, bizarre, horrific and honest all at the same time. A tricky balancing act to be sure but, in a way, it succeeds.

One point of concern however - or for me at least - is that Waititi may have pinched my idea: In 2018 I worked on manuscript about a guy with an imaginary friend - one who is leading the guy down a wrong path and is ultimately overcome. Now it would seem this movie has prompted a rethink on my part...

No comments:

Post a Comment