Friday, January 17, 2020

Little Women

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Little Women!


Original image located here. Accessed 17th January 2020

This may seem like a curveball - but then again I have thrown many a curveball over the course of this series. But my reasoning for seeing this movie is that a) I have heard some good things about it and b) I have something of an attachment to this story.
When I was in high school, I saw the nineties version in class (the one that starred Winona Ryder, Kirsten Dunst, Samantha Mathis and Claire Danes). The movie must have made quite an impression because I do recall having an emotional response to it - only for my classmates, both male and female alike, deem me a wimp for it.
The swines.

As for this latest incarnation, it would appear the praise lauded on it is more than justified. Okay sure the jumps back and forth through time were indeed jarring and took some getting used to, but beyond that? The directing is superb, the photography is staggeringly beautiful and the cast give it their all. This may be an odd choice on paper but I am more than glad that I saw it.
Better than the 1994 movie? I think it might be.

All in all, a winner on all fronts
Here's hoping it wins best Picture at the Oscars....

No comments:

Post a Comment