Friday, January 10, 2020

Frozen 2

And this week's Friday night movie has been...Frozen 2!


Original image located here. Accessed 10th January 2020

Or, as my niece calls it, Elsa 2

No way around it: i have a lot to say about this movie so I may as well resort to bullet points.
- Given the monumental success of the original, perhaps it should come to as no surprise that this will lead to a franchise. We have a sequel and it would be anything but surprising if more Frozen movies are on the way.
- A lot of world building in this one, no doubt for laying down groundwork for afore-mentioned sequels.
- When i heard a sequel to Frozen was in development I was skeptical - to a point where the only way such a sequel would work would be if these characters took what they learned in the first movie and put it into practice. Now i won't give too much away but I did kinda get that vibe here - even if it was at odds with the impression that this movie seemed quite intent to undo the ending of it's predecessor.
- I've heard people complain that Kristoph didn't have much to do in the movie beyond being reduced to a joke sub-plot. True this isn't his movie, but personally, I'll let the matter slide as he does turn out to be quite supportive of Anna and Elsa when they need it.
- People want Elsa to have a girlfriend - personally I think that would go against a lot of character development she has been through and undermine the themes of this series. Thus it may be a better choice for Elsa to be asexual ( and I think my asexual friends would agree with me on that one)
- Grumbling aside, I did enjoy this movie. I like the autumn vibe going throughout and the use of colors. There are some strong ideas and, despite my cynicism over the potential franchising, I have some interest as to what these characters do next.
- I think I prefer Show Yourself over Let it Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment