Friday, June 29, 2018

The Graduate

And this week's Friday night movie has been.....The Graduate!


Original image located here. Accessed 29th June 2018

It's been fifty one years since this movie was first released. Fifty one years! Considering the ravager that is Time (and how people these days would associate The Sound of Silence more with Sad Affleck), how does this movie hold up?

Well the acting is great, I like the scenes of repartee and this is definitely a document of the counter-culture/rebelliousness that defined much of the 1960s.
But is this the romantic-comedy this film has been pitched as? I think not. Maybe I'm viewing this through the lens of age and experience but Ben doesn't resonate with me that much. He's not interested in his future, he just wants to rebel against the confines of his life. And he does - but, as that last shot indicates, he's not sure what to do next. And he, along with Elaine, are both stuck with nowhere to go from there.

So in a way, I don't get The Graduate as a rom-com - in fact not as a comedy at all. It's something different. And more substantial.

"Hello darkness my old friend..."

No comments:

Post a Comment