Friday, September 9, 2016

Red Cliff

And this weeks Friday night movie has been.....Red Cliff (parts 1 and 2)!


Original image located here. Accessed 9th September 2016

Let it be known that I like me some John Woo. The man sure knows how to make an action movie and I rank his opus The Killer as the benchmark of all action movies. And whilst I have previously been disappointed with his American-made material, a return to his Hong Kong roots may be cause to raise an eyebrow.

And boy was this duology epic. Everything about it is massive, both in length, size and scope. The battle scenes are staggering and the visuals are stunning to behold. It did take an effort to go through both installments but I tell you: it was worth it!
Have to wonder though: Was this an attempt to beat the Lord of the Rings trilogy at their own game? It's possible but if it was, then it was a pretty good effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment