Friday, September 16, 2016

Kingdom of Heaven

And this weeks Friday night movie has been.....Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)!


Original image located here. Accessed 16th September 2016

With my Friday night movie, I make it a point to avoid movies I have seen before. In this case however, I'll make an exception. True I've seen this movie before when it was originally released on DVD but this time it's the same movie but in the guise of a director's cut. Which, as is my understanding, is regarded by critics as superior to the original (is it therefore any surprise that this and Blade Runner are both from the same director?)

Well it seems the critics were right. I thought the original by itself was okay but somehow the director's cut elevates it to something higher. I guess I can put it down to recognizing certain actors (ie Alexander Siddig) and having read the extraordinary story of King Baldwin (props to Edward Norton) but. seeing it again with fresh eyes and new footage has left a sizable impression when the original couldn't.
All in all, this was a superb film and, now that i think about it, perhaps the best representation I've seen of the Crusades.

No comments:

Post a Comment