Friday, February 24, 2023

The Holiday

And this week's Friday Night movie has been... The Holiday!


Original image located here. Accessed 24th February 2023

This movie came to me as something of a challenge. Because one thing that attracted me was the knowledge that it was a rom com with Jack Black in a key role. Nothing special about that you might think but the writer/director, Nancy Meyers, said the role she gave Jack was one especially written for him. Personally I feel that Jack Black can only play one character so to see him try something different is certainly welcome.

So what we have here is a Christmas movie (two months late I know but stay with me here) where a British woman (Kate Winslet) and an American woman (Cameron Diaz) switch houses and the adventures they have in the other country.
So yeah, I liked this one. Some say the rom-com may be cheesy and archaic but there still much to admire in this movie. Winslet is fun to watch, Black certainly stretches out to try something new and Diaz does this shtick with ease. There's some great laughs and these characters are treated with an empathetic eye. Sure it may be predictable but I will certainly welcome any rom-com that takes it's subjects seriously and doesn't really on gross-out humour and embarrassing situations - must be that feminine touch at play here.
You know, on the DVD case, there's the a critic quote that says that this is better than Love Actually. And I will not contest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment