Friday, December 16, 2022

Miracle on 34th Street (1994)

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Miracle on 34th Street (1994)!


Original image located here. Accessed 16th December 2022

Back in 2019, I saw the 1947 original. So why not watch the update?
I suppose it will be inevitable that comparisons will be made between the two. But I am willing to give this film a chance and allow it to stand up on it's own two feet.

That being said, one change made is the sub-plot the makers added with Bryan and Dorey. And in all honesty it didn't do that much for me. But what DID work for me is Richard Attenborough's performance as Kris Kringle. The man owns every scene he is in and gives the role plenty of gravitas. Indeed, you could make the argument that he is exactly how one expects Santa Claus to act.
I will also admit that, compared to the original, the winning argument is handled more successfully. So one-up to the remake.
So yeah, not a bad movie

No comments:

Post a Comment