Friday, July 10, 2020

Mirai

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Mirai!


Original image located here. Accessed 10th July 2020

We're taking another trip into the anime well today. And another look into the mind of one my favorite anime creators, Mamoru Hosoda. I loved Wolf Children, I loved Summer Wars, I loved the Girl who Leapt through Time and Boy & the Beast was pretty good too. So can the Midas touch strike again?

No way around this: This is a movie that demands time. At first I didn't know what to think of it but slowly (and surely) this movie does reveal itself.
The strongest in this movie is it's depiction of families. Granted this is a strength of Hosoda's work but here, we are shown a family through a young child. The child in question may be loud, obnoxious, threatened by the arrival of a younger sibling and frustrated by unhelpful adults but that's the point. I have seen plenty of depictions of children in animated form but this certainly is the most realistic approach. Furthermore, the life lessons taught over the course of the movie are interesting and, the conclusion still works, proving that self-acceptance is a ploy that will never fail.
This may not be the most welcoming of movies but when it hits, it knocks it off the park. I know some people didn't like Boy and the Beast but having seen Mirai I think it's fair to say that Hosoda may be back on track. So what will he do next....?

No comments:

Post a Comment