Friday, July 24, 2020

It Must Be Heaven

And this week's Friday night movie has been... It Must be Heaven!


Original image located here. Accessed 24th July 2020

Let me say this up front: I am not a fan of 'arty' movies. You know the type I'm referring to: The kind of movies that are loaded with images that have symbolism and little else. The kind of movies that have no plot favoring instead a series of non-sequiturs. The kind of movies that thrill critics (read: people who write words for a living). And the kind of movies that come across as being self-indulgent and clearly made by one guy yelling "Ask me what it means!" in a non-stop fashion.

So one would think that I would despise this movie. And yes I will admit that was indeed a challenge to get through. But if that was the case then it must have made some kind of impression on me. Considering that director Elia Suleiman dominates on both sides of the camera, this movie still doesn't strike me as self-indulgent.
There is indeed humour at work but it is strange to see it amongst scenes that don't appear to go anywhere. There is a hypnotic quality to this film but it appears to be at odds with a commentary on being a Palestinian.
So yes, this is quite an odd movie but at the same time, it has indeed a seductive quality to it. And that is enough to save it from being a target of contempt.
After all, if a movie can do that then it must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment