Friday, July 26, 2019

Mystify: Michael Hutchence

And last week's Friday night movie has been....Mystify: Michael Hutchence!


Original image located here. Accessed 26th July 2019

So this has been doing the rounds lately: a biographical documentary on former INXS frontman Michael Hutchence, made up of (mostly) home video footage and spoken accounts from the people how knew him.

Being a child of the eighties and an Australian, I was in the right place and the right time to bear witness to INXS achieving their superstardom. Thing is, I never got into INXS. Sure their songs were a constant presence on the radio, sure Hutchence's face was everywhere but I however, was more into the likes of Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil and Icehouse. I had no idea of the headway INXS were making overseas and, as far as I was concerned, their music wasn't for me - but I will admit to a fondness for Beautiful Girl which, as bizarre as it may sound, I will forever associate with my Primary School leavers dinner XD
In recent years though, my indifference has been challenged and I'm finding something to like in INXS' music. So maybe there is something to be gleamed from this documentary?

Apparently so: Clearly this documentary is going out of it's way to humanise Michael and show him as he really was. I was interested to see how Michael was described as someone who functioned best when he was within a familial unit. I was intrigued to hear about his relationship with Kylie Minogue - particularly when Kylie's accounts are delivered with boundless enthusiasm. And even when we all know how the story ends, the tragic of it is still a kick to the teeth.
So in the end, if this documentary was aimed at humanising Michael and show him who he really was, this succeeded with flying colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment