Friday, October 26, 2018

Slumber Party Massacre

And this week's Friday night movie has been.....The Slumber Party Massacre!


Original image located here. Accessed 26th October 2018

I may have said this before but let's be clear: Slasher movies aren't my favorite movie genre. My reasons are varied but chief among them are a) their misogynist nature and b) the fact that they tend to be populated by idiots who subsequently get hacked to death (granted that may be precisely the point but still...).
However I may be kinder to slasher movies that parody the genre and mock a lot of the familiar tropes. And that's what made me aware of this movie. That and the fact that this is a slasher movie written by a woman and produced/directed by a woman. So perhaps a different perspective may result in a different movie?

Well there are some solid moments of tension, some decent parody scenes and a truly chilling performance from the guy playing the baddie. But in the end it's not enough to distinguish it from the other slasher movies out there. As a result, I'm still not sold on the slasher genre.
Easy come, easy go?

No comments:

Post a Comment