Friday, December 15, 2017

A Christmas Carol (1984)

And this week's Friday night movie has been.....A Christmas Carol (1984)!


Original image located here. Accessed 15th December 2017

I've always had a soft spot for A Christmas Carol. When i was a kid I was drawn to the ghost/horror element and the somewhat sarcastic nature of the title (well it seemed sarcastic to me).
But when i became an adult, I realize that the themes of redemption and turning one's life around for the better is indeed a powerful one.

As for the movie itself, well, it's well shot, there are some chilling moments and the ghosts are very imaginative in their presentation. But ultimately, the whole movie rests on the shoulders of George C Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge. And what a job he does: he's funny, bitter, angry and a jerk all at once - so there's something to be said for the scene on Christmas morning ("I'm as merry as a schoolboy!").

No comments:

Post a Comment