Friday, March 17, 2017

Titanic

And this week's Friday night movie has been.....Titanic!


Original image located here. Accessed 17th March 2017

I've spoken previously about approaching movies with a reputation big enough to inspire intimidation but this one takes the cake.

You see, I remember this being a big deal in my last year of high school and my first year of college. Some people loved it but others hated it. It gave Leonardo Di Caprio's profile a mammoth boost. It made people call James Cameron a traitor for going to action movies (Terminator 1+2 and Aliens) to making a romance. It inspired criticisms ranging from the length, how the ship sinking was the only good thing about it and giving us that damn Celine Dion song.

A formidable reputation to be sure but for me the only way to approach this movie was to build some distance from it and view it on my own terms (as always). Well, two decades is a suitable enough distance so what do I think of this movie?

Yeah, it's not bad.

Strangely enough I didn't find Titanic slow or tedious as it's reputation suggests. The level of detail is impressive and the CGI effects still hold up rather well. Special mention must also go to the (very long) sinking sequence which is both impressive and horrific at once.

Ultimately though Titanic was indeed a passion project for James Cameron and it shows. It may be his show but it's certainly a good one

No comments:

Post a Comment