Friday, April 28, 2023

Duck Soup

And this week's Friday Night movie has been... Duck Soup!


Original image located here. Accessed 28th April 2023

Anyone heard of this? This is a famous movie from the 1930s headed by the renowned comedy troupe the Marx Brothers.
I've said many times that it is a gamble visiting movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood (1910s-1960s) as they tend to date poorly. And the genre that suffers the ravages of time the most is the comedic movies. Still I do know of the Marx Brothers and I do recall, once upon a time, seeing and thoroughly enjoying Bringing up Baby (another comedy of the same era). So could this surprise me?

Needless to say I hadn't seen any of the Marx Brothers prior to this. I mean I knew who they were and of their distinct comedic personalities, I knew this particular movie was a rare excursion in political satire and I knew it angered Mussolini but I had never seen the Marx Brothers actually in action.
Actually, forget what I said about 1930s comedy aging: This is still pretty funny. Lots of sight gags, one-liners (courtesy of Groucho), physical comedy and a sense of bringing chaos to order. Even now the personalities the brothers have shine through and still work decades later. Interestingly enough, I grew up watching Looney Tunes and it's fascinating to see how that brand of humour can be traced back to these guys. In fact, a lot of these gags have indeed been replicated many times before but here they are still laugh out loud funny.
Remarkable how time has not ravaged this movie at all

No comments:

Post a Comment