Friday, April 15, 2022

Encanto

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Encanto!


Original image located here. Accessed 15th April 2022

Well I guess it was inevitable that i would see this one: It's been a hit with critics, audiences, and Tiktok users. In fact, given how much traction this movie has inspired, it is a near miracle i kept myself away from the plot. And spoilers. And the music. Because, as I've mentioned many times before, there's nothing like approaching a movie on your own terms, amirite?

Oh who am i kidding. Encanto was great!
Given that much has been said about the music (and sung by many people) I find it interesting to discuss it because I found that much of it is words being shot out at a rate so rapid, it's difficult to keep up. Indeed, there are many times I wondered: What did that character just say?
Other than that, I really enjoyed the sense of family that this movie conveys. Each character in this is unique and are supportive of each other. It does indeed resemble my own family when I was a kid, - being part of this network of aunts, uncle and cousins - and just how bound together they are.
The animation is great and the art direction is superb but given it's a Disney movie, that's kind of a given right?
But in the end, everyone will be gravitating towards the music but I am far more interested in the depiction of a familial unit

No comments:

Post a Comment