Friday, March 13, 2020

Emma

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Emma!


Original image located here. Accessed 13th March 2020

Funny how things turn out: I never had much interest in the works of Jane Austen - I may have read Persuasion at Uni but said interest never went any further. That was until I was involved in a stage adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (twice!) so if you told 2000 me that I would be watching the latest adaptation of Emma twenty years later, 2000 me would say you'd be out of your mind.
That and the gf chose this one.

I suppose with any Jane Austen adaptation, there will be a ready made audience more than eager to lap it up. Of course, Emma is unfamiliar to me so i had no idea what to expect. And this was a surprise to me: It is slow moving at times but it still has plenty of humor. The number of characters may be difficult to keep track of but they are played by a committed cast.
Ultimately the movie is beautifully shot and the costume design is stunning (high collars ahoy!). So yeah, looks like we have a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment