Friday, November 24, 2023

To Kill a Mockingbird

   And this week's Friday night movie has been... To Kill a Mockingbird!

Original image located here. Accessed 24th November 2023

It's one of the most famous movies of it's era, having come out during the civil rights movement of the 1960s and therefore becoming a representation of a time and place. 

Unfortunately it also means that this film comes across as dated. It seems to me that this film's reputation lies heavily on the courtroom drama that takes place in it. And whilst those scenes are great, they do however only take up a quarter of the movie. Other times, the movie is more focused on what the kids are doing - often to the movie's detriment. I mean, am I convinced a child can manage to change the minds of an angry mob? I don't think so.

Still, I do not doubt Gregory Peck's efforts and his Oscar for Best Actor was nothing less than well deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment