Friday, August 13, 2021

Space Jam A New Legacy

And this week's Friday night movie has been... Space Jam A New Legacy!


Original image located here. Accessed 13th August 2021

I should not like this movie. It has been said that this is less a movie and more an ad. And that many of the jokes are out of date. And it completely ditched the characterization of Lola Bunny provided by the Looney Tunes Show. And it operates at the pace of Sonic the Hedgehog on red cordial. And I can't escape the feeling that this was done by someone who really wanted to rewrite the narrative of 'Space Jam < Looney Tunes: Back in Action'

And while such criticisms are indeed valid, I couldn't help but enjoy this movie. I did enjoy picking out some familiar faces in the crowd scenes. I did enjoy LeBron Jame's presence. I did enjoy the humour that made me love Looney Tunes as a kid. And I especially loved Don Cheadle, stealing every scene he was in. It may be easy to dismiss this movie has being soulless but I can't say it was half-arsed (if that makes any sense).
So in the end, given the recent trend of movies leaning towards the socially conscious, perhaps there is something to be said about a movie that wants nothing more than to make it;s audience laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment