Friday, November 1, 2019

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

And this week's Friday night movie has been...The Rocky Horror Picture Show!


Original image located here. Accessed 1st November 2019

Halloween may have been last night but I can still end this October run in style.

Well, I've put this off long enough. This movie still commands an audience forty-four years later and many people I've met talk it up. Indeed, i have lost count how many women I've spoken over the years who have seen this movie. Personally I know little of this movie beyond a) The Time Warp (apparently it's just a jump to the left.....) - but even then it's more from a Kodak commercial; b) a few of the other songs (kind of...); c) it's reputation as an audience-participation movie and d) it's popularity with the LBGT crowd.

Mind you, it's this movie's afore-mentioned reputation that bothers me. Clearly this is a movie that is best enjoyed with a group of people. I think it's safe to say that being with a group of people who are getting into The Rocky Horror Picture Show may make for a different experience than someone watching it by themselves.
Other than that, this movie was a lot of fun. Considering how unconventional this movie is as a musical, it makes me wonder if it was a fore-runner to a lot of unconventional musicals that has followed in it's wake (ie the South Park movie, Avenue Q, and Book of Mormon). But ultimately it's bizarre natural is my cup of silliness. And considering that this film has the message of being comfortable in one's own skin, even to the point of defying normality, that may go a long way why it still has an enraptured audience.

At least I now know, when I go to a party and the Time Warp gets played, why the song ends with everyone falling to the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment